What type of campers do you have for hire?

The majority of our campers are some of the very last 2006 imported Volkswagen type 2 campers built with traditional air-cooled engines. These have the benefit of driving a younger vehicle and the feel (and sound) of driving an original camper. Sadly these air-cooled campers are no longer in production. We also have Ruby on our fleet, a beautiful 2007 VW campervan with a modern water-cooled engine.

Please bear in mind that the campers were not built for speed! Camper driving is all about going where the fancy takes you at a laid back pace. A comfortable maximum speed is 60/65 miles an hour.

Can I come to see the campers?

We are proud of our campers and you are very welcome to come and view them, but please do call us before you come – just to make sure that there is a camper here to show you. this doesn’t have to be within the office hours stated below.

What are snailtrail office hours?

The office is open Monday to Friday 10.00am to 6.00pm, and on Saturdays from 10.00am to 1.00pm. These are our office hours and not necessarily the times the depot is open, so please do pre-arrange with us if you wish to come and view the campers.

Where is snailtrail based?

We are on the Hertfordshire/ Bedfordshire / Cambridgeshire border, just off the A1 between Baldock and Biggleswade. Our location is approximately 35 miles north of Greater London, 25 miles west of Cambridge, 25 miles east of Milton Keynes and 40 miles south of Peterborough.

Click here for Multimap showing Snailtrail Location

Do you deliver the campers or should we collect?

Yes, we can deliver the campers to within a 20 mile radius of Edworth (SG18 9TJ), but only outside our peak season of mid-June to mid-September. There is a charge for delivery

Can we leave our car with you whilst we’re away with the camper?

Yes, the majority of hirers leave their own car garaged in our storage unit- this service is free of charge but entirely at your own risk.

Can you meet me at the train station?

We are happy to meet you at a train station local to ourselves (Baldock, Biggleswade or Odsey). There is no charge for this service, but please do arrange this with us at the time of booking.

What time do we collect / return the camper?

Peak Season Weekly Hire – 7 nights hire:
During the peak season (mid June to mid September) camper van rental becomes much like holiday cottage letting! Rentals run from Friday afternoon (anytime from 2pm to 6pm). Return of the camper is on Friday morning before 10am. We really do need the camper back in time in order that we can have it ready for the next hirer.

Long Weekend Rental – 3 nights hire:
Campers are available for collection from 2pm to 6pm on Friday afternoon, and should be returned to us by 6pm on the Monday.

Out of peak season and wherever we can, we are happy to be more flexible with collection/ return times by prior arrangement. Please contact us if you require alternative collection/return times.

What age do I have to be to rent a Snail Trail campervan?

25 years and over. We can insure drivers from 24 years but for these younger drivers there is a surcharge for additional insurance.

Can more than one of our party drive the camper?

Yes. Up to three different people can be named drivers. We will need to see all driver’s driving licences and a utility bill belonging to the main driver.

Can we travel abroad?

We regret, we no longer hire the campers for European travel, this includes travel into Ireland.

How do I make a booking?

  1. Please make your enquiry either over the telephone or by using the contact us/ availability page to email us.
  2. Once you have been informed of availability, please telephone us to finalise your booking requirements and to arrange deposit payment either by cheque, credit or debit card (see deposit requirements below).
  3. We will then send you a booking confirmation letter, which tells you about the camper and your hire, together with a receipt for your payment which will also let you know the due date of any balance payable.
  4. When making your reservation you will be asked to complete our online Confirmed Booking Form which is a secure website page. The information asked for on the form is required by our insurers to ensure the validity of those hiring our campers. These details are not passed on to anyone other than our insurers, and are shredded or incinerated once your hire is complete.
  5. You will need to send us photocopies of the following documents:
    the paper and card driving licences for all named drivers
    a utility bill or bank statement (less than 8 weeks old)

If necessary, we will contact you the week preceding your hire to make any final arrangements with you.

What is the booking deposit required?

To secure a reservation we require a non-refundable deposit as detailed below, with the balance due 6 weeks prior to the reservation start date. If you are hiring within 6 weeks of making the booking we require the full balance to secure the booking.

Long weekend booking – 1/2 hire charge required as deposit

1 week booking – 1/3 hire charge required as deposit

2 week booking – 1/4 hire charge required as deposit

Is insurance included in the hire charge?

Yes, the hire charges we state always include UK insurance for one named driver, aged 25-70 with no convictions or endorsements on their licence.

I have points on my driving licence, is it still ok for me to hire?

Yes, you can still drive a snailtrail camper although there are surcharges from £3 per day for those with driving penalties.

I have a non-UK driving licence, can I still drive a snailtrail camper?

Yes, if you have a non-UK driving licence you can still hire a camper, but there will be a surcharge of £5 per day for extra insurance costs.

Are personal belongings covered by the insurance?

No, the insurance provided within the hire charges does not cover you for loss/damage/theft to or of possessions and so we recommend you take holiday/travel insurance to cover this.

Are dogs allowed in the campers?

We are dog owners ourselves (Dora, Sidney & Bert) and are happy to allow dog travel in all campers except for Nell orange who we keep pet-free for allergy sufferers. We do ask that a blanket/towel is used to protect the upholstery at all times and that the dog is not left in the camper unattended. There is room on the floor of the camper for a squishy dog bed. We charge £25 for dog travel for inevitable extra valeting required at the end of the hire.

What do we need to bring with us for the hire?

The campers are fully equipped with crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils,etc etc. You will need to bring your own bedding (sleeping bags work well as they are neater to store), pillows and towels. A torch/ lantern is a good idea if you are intending to use the bed in the pop-up roof.

We recommend that you travel light – the less you take with you, the more space the camper can give you!

Remember to bring with you driving licences (both parts) for all the named drivers, together with a utility bill addressed to the main named driver.

Do we need to book a campsite in advance?

We would advise that you book your campsites in advance during the peak season and school holidays, particularly if you would electric hook-up which will enable you to use all the camper facilities to their full advantage. Take a look at our Useful Links page for campsite suggestions and campsite directories.

What type of fuel does the camper take?

The campers run on unleaded petrol.

How is the stove fueled?

The camper is supplied with a LPG gas bottle which fuels the stove – this is included within the hire charge. We endeavor to ensure there is adequate gas supply for the length of your trip, but if you should run out please replace the bottle at a petrol station, camping shop or Calor Gas centre and we will reimburse you the cost on your return.

What are the overall dimensions of the vehicle?

Dimensions of the campers can be found on the Camper Van Layout and Dimensions page.

Can we take our bikes with us?

Yes. Bike racks are included in the price of your rental and each camper except for Pearl has one. Each rack holds two bikes.

Can the campers take baby / child car-seats?

Yes. Each van is fitted with at least 2 traditional three-point seatbelts to the rear seat.

What happens if the vehicle should break down?

Of course this is highly unlikely! But for peace of mind, you have full roadside assistance cover from the AA. This means that assistance is available wherever you go, 24 hours around the clock. Each camper comes with an AA card with a 24 hour telephone number on it. On collection of the camper we will also provide you with a telephone number to reach us on outside of office hours.